Sunday, August 8, 2010

Week 6


I got fed up with Gamefly, so I went out and bought Metro 2033. Glad I did though, this one's a keeper. Loving it so far, it's kinda like a cross between Fallout 3 and F.E.A.R. and that's high praise from yours truly. Sunday, I only put in about an hour, but did unlock two achievements, "First Blood" for completing the intro chapter, and "Nosalis Hunter" for killing 30 Nosalies.

Back to the subway tunnels of Metro on Monday. So far I've primarily been using the knife to kill enemies because there's an achievement for doing so. My thinking behind that is, might as well use the weakest weapon at the beginning of the game as the enemies here probably aren't as tough as they will be later on in the game. So anyway, I unlocked "Slice and Dice".

Wednesday I finally got Eat Lead: the Return of Matt Hazard in the mail. And after about 30 minutes of play, it's going right the hell back in the mail. This game is without a doubt one of the very worst games I have played in a looong time. Believe me when I tell you, I've played some terrible games too. Even the easy achievements aren't worth the headache of playing this piece of shit. 30 minutes did get me several though, and they were: "It's Hazard time", "Take 5", "Hands-on Approach", "Headache", "Disco is Dead", and the appropriately titled "Migraine".

In an attempt to permanently burn the memory of Mr. Hazard from what's left of my feeble brain, I threw Metro back in for a while. I set an explosive and blew up a tunnel to seal off advancing monsters for the "Demolitionist" achievement, then made my way to a different station and was promptly arrested by Reds. When I made my escape, I made it all the way to freedom without getting recaptured, unlocking "Fugitive" in the process.

I've turned my 6 year old into something of a Street Fighter junkie as of late, which should surprise absolutely no one that knows anything about me. We've been playing nightly pretty much all week. Friday night when we threw down, I finally got my 50th Super Combo Finish, and the "Super Combo Champion" achievement.

I don't know how many of you have ever attempted to explain, or train somebody on how to pull off a Hadouken in Street Fighter, but if a person has never played Street Fighter before, it's moderately difficult to get them to grasp the concept of the down-to-forward motion on the stick coupled with a simultaneous press of the punch button. Now imagine trying to explain it to a 6 year old. My patience was being tested severely at the beginning of the week, as there was much whining and frustrated 6 year old smack being talked. Somewhere around the middle of the week it clicked for him though, and he can actually hold his own a little bit. He tends to favor Blanka, of course because of his extremely cheap electricity attack, and because he looks like a monster. "Daddy, I'm over guns and shooting, I just want to fight now." Who says the fighting genre is dead? SHORYUKEN!!!

Curtain closed on week 6 just shy of my goal. I would've cleared it by a sizable margin if Matt Hazard hadn't been so god awful. It was so bad that I refused to even finish the first level, 50k be damned. Breakdown....

Beginning Gamerscore: 49,752
Finishing Gamerscore: 49,987

A gain of 235 points, which is not bad at all considering how much time I spent this week playing Infamous on my PS3. Also this week I canceled my Gamefly account, as I'm paying $15 dollars a month for them to skip all the good stuff and continue to send my bargain-bin shit from my list. Matt Hazard was the final nail in the coffin. I highly doubt I won't be able to find 13 points in something this week, likely Metro, so week 7 will officially end the countdown.

No comments: