Seeing as how I've not done a top 5 in a month of full moon's, I thought I'd throw my picks into the ring. Now, take into account that while I've seen a LOT of werewolf movies, I still haven't seen every one, so if there's something more badass than the one's I've picked, please feel free to point me in the direction of better ones. I do love me a werewolf flick.
Top 5 Werewolf Transformations
5. Hemlock Grove - The new kid on the block manages to snag the #5 spot on my list. I like how the actor makes it look incredibly painful, like the eyes and teeth popping out, and absolutely love that the wolf takes a chunk of the leftover flesh as a little snack. My only complaint is the CG, a couple of places it looks fairly cartoonish. But still, no denying that this is one of the best transformation sequences in recent memory.
4. Thriller - Out of all my picks, this is the one that I suspect might get me the most flack, but it's my list and I'll pick what I want. This absolutely terrified me as a kid. Rick Baker does the unthinkable, and actually makes a young Michael Jackson even SCARIER than he would eventually become later in life! Fast forward to about 2:15 for the transformation.
3. Trick r Treat - Really dig this one, partially because it had been SO long since I'd seen a really badass werewolf transformation sequence when I first watched Trick r Treat. I really dig that they're all female, and I like how the transformations look a lot like strip tease, only instead of just removing clothing, they're taking skin off too.
2. The Howling - Yep, I find myself on the "Howling is #2" side of the fence. Yes, this is fantastic effects work, no denying it. For it's time, it's a stunning achievement. My minor nitpicks though? What's with all the bubbling? A little bit is ok, but there's just a bit too much for my taste in this transformation. My main complaint though, is that dude looks happy to be transforming. Despite all the bones cracking, the aforementioned bubbling of things, etc., there are times when he's smiling. It definitely gives it a creepy as fuck vibe, but at the same time, there's no way he could be enjoying it.
1. An American Werewolf in London - Ah, the grandaddy of them all, no film in my lifetime has ever topped Rick Baker and co.'s transformation in An American Werewolf in London. It just does everything right, INCLUDING making it quite obvious that David is in some serious pain, as we can see from the very beginning. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said a million times before regarding this masterpiece of FX work.
There's my picks for the top 5 werewolf transformations of all time. As I mentioned before, I always welcome differing opinions, feel free to recommend others that I might not have seen.