Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Manborg


Oh, Manborg...where to begin? The geniuses that are Astron-6 have done it again. Manborg is a love letter to cheesy straight to video, low budget sci-fi/ action films from the 80's that people my age grew up on. At the same time, it's also a love letter to the video games of yesteryear. In short, if you've ever seen Eliminators or pumped quarter upon quarter into a Pit Fighter machine, you'll love Manborg.

The armies of Hell have arisen to take over Earth, and mankind eventually falls. A young solider, killed in the first war against the demons, awakens suddenly in a future where Hell on Earth has become a reality. Only this time he's prepared to fight back, as part man, part cyborg. He meets up with a small group of freedom fighters, and together they fight against Draculon and his demon horde for the fate of the world.


After falling in love with the guys in Astron-6 with their last feature, Father's Day, pre-ordering Manborg was a no-brainer. At the end of it's criminally short run-time of 61 mins, I had one complaint, and one complaint only about Manborg: It ends. Holy shit, if every movie was as much fun as this one, I feel fairly confident that world peace could be achieved. It's the kind of awesome that I need more of in my life. It might be low on budget, but it's big on action, laughs, and heart.

Also featured on the disc, and also just as hilariously awesome, is a faux trailer for what I'm hoping is Astron-6's next flick, Bio-Cop. It's only about 8 minutes or so, and trust me when I tell you, you will be left wanting more.


1 comment:

Maynard Morrissey said...

Woot, Manborg totally rocked my world - though Bio-Cop is ten times better. I SOOOOO hope they'll turn it into a full length feature

"Bio-Cop - You have the right to remain dead." :-D