Friday, June 4, 2010

Splice


Tonight I braved the wild, mean streets of LaGrange, GA to give my hard earned monies in promotion of Splice. Always one to promote the horror in theaters, this guy is. I was both extremely pleased, and disappointed all at the same time.

First the extremely pleased part, the movie. Wow, just wow....how many disturbing themes and situations take place in this 100 minute movie? I lost count. This is NOT your typical creature feature, and is all the better for it. I don't want to go into too much detail here, as I'd hate to spoil this one for anybody. My one minor gripe, and you know I always have at least one, was Sarah Polley. Guys I just don't like her. I've only seen her in a few things and she's bugged me in all of them. The script overall was decent, though as usual these "scientists" did some incredibly stupid shit, but it's a movie so that's to be expected. The rest of the cast performed well, especially Delphine Chaneac as Dren. Can't say enough good things about her.

And now for the disappointment. This was a heavily promoted Warner Bros. movie and I sat in a theater on opening night at 8pm with around 15 other people. Not even the usual Friday night teenage crowd was present. I kinda get why straight up horror doesn't play well unless it's October, it bothers me of course, but I get it. But generally when you slap "sci-fi" in front of horror, it does a little better. I don't know how it's playing everywhere else, but LaGrange wasn't feeling it tonight. It's going to be interesting to see the weekend numbers Monday morning, but I have a feeling my disappointment won't be any less. Fucking movie-goers man, unless it's some generic stupid bullshit with some actor they recognize as "that guy from that movie" they liked, then it isn't worth their time. I have no doubt that "Get him to the Greek" will open much bigger than Splice and that makes me weep for humanity.

If you have any interest at all, please go see Splice. It's more than worth your time and money. It may not be exactly what you're expecting, but I assure you there won't be much else the theater this year that will make you feel as uneasy at times as this movie will. It's funny where it's supposed to be, and oh my God is it unsettling where it's supposed to be.

No comments: