Saturday, May 29, 2010

Movie Night

Since moving back to Valley, most Saturday nights have become movie nights in the Batcave. Sometimes I fly solo, but most times I watch with my movie sidekick, and fellow bad horror movie lover, Threels. Most of the time the choices are random, ranging from the likes of Gamer and 30 Days of Night on blu, to Homesick (which will go down in history as one of the greatest movie nights of all time).

That being said, everything changed a couple of weeks ago, we started noticing what simply couldn't be coincidental themes emerging. Not planned mind you, it was almost as if the Universe stepped in and demanded we start paying attention to these little occurrences. Case in point, themes from that particular night we picked up on included the word "inexplicably" and Max von Sydow. Don't ask, just trust me.

So with that, we decided that it might be fun to actually apply themes to movie nights. It could be something as simple as "bad horror" or something as specific as "horror-comedies starring Bruce Campbell as an elderly Elvis who lives in a nursing home which is being terrorized by an ancient mummy who sucks old people's souls out of their asses". Anyway, here lately I've been in werewolf mode, what with the excitement of the new Wolfman hitting dvd/blu on Tuesday, so guess what the first official themed movie night is going to be? That's right, after I put the kids to bed, movie night is going to get hairy! Ok that was admittedly pretty bad.

American Werewolf in London Full Moon Edition Blu - Nothing really needs to be said about this one. It's one of the greatest werewolf movies of all time, and pretty much anybody will tell you that. It also has the greatest transformation sequence of all time. I grabbed the Full Moon Edition blu last week but haven't watched it yet, so I'm looking forward to this one. Time permitting I'd also like to check out the "Beware the Moon" and "I walked with a Werewolf" featurettes as I understand they're both fantastic.

Bad Moon - FINALLY got around to grabbing this on dvd yesterday. It's been a while since I watched Bad Moon, although I really like it, the only copy I had was on vhs and I have a vcr....somewhere. Now I can watch whenever I want though! The absolute best part of this one is the practical effect work, especially the werewolf, which looks phenomenal. The absolute worst part is the almost comical CG tranformation sequence, though it's not really Bad Moon's fault as this movie came out when CG was still "learning how to walk" in the early 90's. Really, really excited about watching this one tonight, werewolf nostalgia ftw.

Depending on how these two go, I assure you I have no shortage of other Lycanthropic misadventures we could get ourselves into, and before you ask, none of them have the word "Twilight" anywhere in the title. I may scratch my Katharine Isabelle itch with some Ginger Snaps though...

2 comments:

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Ooh! Ooh! Dog Soldiers! Dog Soldiers! Dooooooogggg!!! Sooollldierrrrrsss!!

Mister Bones said...

Word B, Dog Soldiers is of course my werewolf flick of choice, but I watched it last week, so I went with something different for movie night.