Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mister Bones' Top 5

Was watching Xplay yesterday and they had their "Top 5 Zombie games", and well you just know I didn't agree with it, soooo....

Top 5 Zombie Games

5. House of the Dead 2 - G's Bloodstains! This game is an absolute classic. I'm pretty sure I could've put myself through med school with the amount of quarters I put into HoD2 cabinets over the years. I still have it on my Dreamcast, and play every now and then. I've always had a love for on-rail shooters, and as far as I'm considered, this is about as good as they get. I may, may give CarnEvil just a slight edge over HoD2, but as far as I know there was never a home version of it, so this one makes the list instead.

4. Resident Evil - The original, the one that invented the Survival Horror genre and redefined horror gaming forever. It's campy dialog, ridiculous fetch-quests, and nonsense puzzles will always have a special place in my heart. Remember that first cut-scene with the zombie chowing down, and then he turns his head slowly and glares at you? Me too! It's one of the greatest scenes in video game history. Not to mention the hallway with the dogs, the room with the crows, Albert fucking Wesker, the giant shark, the snake, Forrest, the Hunters...this game is literally packed with moments I'll remember forever.

3. Left 4 Dead/ Left 4 Dead 2 - I'm combining these two since they a) came out so close together and b) essentially combine to become one colossally awesome game. This is the one that tops almost every single "Top Zombie Game" list out there, and in some ways it's a well deserved honor. As far as pure shooters go, this one is the cream of the zombie crop. My only problem with it? I'm a bit of a zombie purist, I like my zombies to consume brains/human flesh/ etc. These zombies? They knock you down and scratch you. They also run really fast, and that's an argument you do NOT want me to get into. Slow zombies ftw. Still these "infected people" are tons of fun to shoot.

2. Resident Evil 2 - How do you top the greatness that was Resident Evil? You make it bigger, better, and let players run through a lot of Raccoon City instead of just a mansion/secret underground lab, and you add Lickers, and a giant alligator in the sewer, the G-Virus, and the first appearance of Nemesis! Resident Evil 2 did everything right that Resident Evil did, only on a much grander scale. It was also the first game I remember playing that had two discs, two main characters, and two different perspectives for the single player campaign.

1. Dead Rising - This will surprise absolutely no one. It's my favorite 360 game to date, it's one of my favorite video games of all time, and it is hands down the greatest zombie video game ever made. This is nothing short of a George Romero classic that you get to play. I've literally spent hours having a blast discovering all the ways to dismember the undead. Zombies in a mall is nothing new, zombies in mall from our generation though? That's new, and awesome. Frank West is a zombie killing machine, and one of the greatest video game leads in history. Dead Rising 2 is dropping soon (not soon enough) and my one and only complaint I've had since it was announced is that Frank isn't in it. Still I'm sure after all is said and done, one of the games on this list will be moving down a notch, and DR2 will be added pretty close to the top spot.

Some honorables worth mentioning, old school fun in "Zombies Ate my Neighbors", yet another Resident Evil game, "Code Veronica", and who could deny the fun of XBLA title "Zombie Apocalypse"? Also worth a mention, though technically not available for this list because the zombies aren't the main focus is "Call of Duty: World at War" which may have the absolute greatest add-on mp game type of all time and is without a doubt the best reason to own a Call of Duty game.

No comments: