I haven't done one of these in a while, and was inspired by a conversation at work this morning to do another top 5 list. As I've mentioned countless times before, I have to be a little bit picky when it comes to which games I can afford to pay full price for. Believe me, there's not many, and for me to put down $60 I have to want something pretty bad. I came up with 5 or 6 games for the remainder of 2011 that I will absolutely have to have on release day...
Top 5 Most Anticipated Games for the Second Half of 2011
5. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - I think the last Call of Duty game I bought on day one was the first Modern Warfare. I normally don't get into the multiplayer on CoD because I don't know about you, but for me, running around with a pellet gun, when the rest of the world has been playing non-stop for months and unlocking all the perks and better weapons, just doesn't appeal to me. However, I do love the Call of Duty single player campaigns, and the trailers for Modern Warfare 3 have me salivating.
4. Gears of War 3 - For some, Gears is beginning to show it's age and suffer a bit from sequelitis. I can see that a little bit, and I think Gears 4 may end up being a totally different experience. In the meantime, Gears of War 3 looks jaw-droppingly awesome. From what I've seen, the enemies look bigger and there are more on-screen at any given moment than ever before. Personally, I can't wait to put Marcus, the Cole Train, and the rest of the Cogs through their final confrontation with the Locust Queen.
3. Silent Hill Downpour
- I've made no secret for my love of this series. It's my absolute favorite survival horror franchise, and I love it to death. Downpour doesn't look like it's going to stray too
far from the proven Silent Hill formula, although it will introduce optional side quests for the first time in the series.Best believe I'll be doing everything there is to do in this one, as I must devour as many details of Silent Hill as humanly possible.
2. Battlefield 3 - Oh my damn, this game looks fucking AMAZING. Again, as I've mentioned time and time again here, I am a huge Battlefield fan. Modern Combat, 1943, Bad Company, it doesn't matter, I love them all. I love Battlefield so much in fact that I'll even play multiplayer with the general public. Every trailer I've seen for Battlefield 3 so far has just added to my excitement. I think this is going to be the best-looking game we've seen on consoles to date, it is gorgeous. Dice never disappoints, and my expectations for the third true Battlefield game are through the roof.
1. Batman Arkham City - I know I don't need to explain why I'm so excited for this one. Anybody who played Rocksteady's last Batman game, Arkham Asylum, should be excited for this sequel. Me? I am literally counting the days, and currently reading the comic series from Paul Dini that bridges the first game to the second. The premise for Arkham City is a little far-fetched, even for Gotham City, but I have all the faith in the world in Rocksteady to produce the greatest super-hero video game of all time. I mean, they've already done that once, right?
There you have it, where a good bit of my extra spending money for the remainder of 2011 will be going. One more honorable mention goes to Insomniac's Resistance 3 which I will also likely be buying on day one. First one was ok, but damn I loved Resistance 2. Anyway, there's of course a handful of other things I'm interested in playing but will be waiting for price drops, and as per usual I have plenty to play and some interesting looking XBLA titles on the horizon to keep me busy while I wait for these.
The remainder of 2011 looks pretty good for gamers, and 2012 looks to be a great year too. Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Halo 4 and the list goes on. I really should probably look into getting some sort of second job. Anybody out there hiring?