Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Allow me a Moment Atop my Soapbox

I love blogger. The fact that I try to have something posted on a mostly daily basis should make that particular point of information abundantly clear. I don't just love blogging though, I also love to read other blogs, and if you don't believe me, you haven't been paying attention to the sidebar on your right. I've met a lot of wonderful people through blogging, and if nothing else, it's nice to know that while I may not be able to find anybody where I live that shares my enthusiasm for my particular taste in movies, music, comics, etc., all I have to do is visit my "Bat-Bloggers" section and I'm right at home amongst my fellow freaks and weirdos.

The reason for this particular rant today though, in an annoying trend that I've long noticed when it comes to members of the fairer sex. I have several female friends who use blogger, as well as twitter, facebook, and various other social networking outlets to discuss things like horror and video games. Most of them are intelligent people, who genuinely love the subject matter they're writing about and post entertaining and insightful articles that I enjoy reading. At the end, there's almost always a comment or two, or several in some cases, and while most of them are responses that at least attempt to be relevant to the subject, there are far too many "OMG a gurl who likes horror! U r so haWT!" comments. I'm ashamed to be a part of the same gender as these commentors, and at the same time I feel bad for the women who have spent the time and energy to write a thought-out post in the hopes of sparking some sort of adult conversation about a topic they clearly care about or are interested in.


Guys, really. It's 2011. Yes, there are women in this world who love horror, who love video games, who love metal music. There are women in this world who love all of the things that you love, and likely some who love it even more than you do. Let's grow up a bit. Do you really think if you leave a comment like "you're so hawt and you play Halo! We should meet!" on a post that took an hour or longer to write, any woman is going to hop the next plane out and fly across the country to bang you? It's completely asinine and juvenile, and does nothing but publicly display your ignorance. I can understand that there are females out there who like this kind of attention, but they primarily stick to things like MySpace, and I'm fairly certain it's quite illegal for you to bang them anyway.

I am well aware that I will be clicking the "publish post" button having said absolutely nothing that will have made any difference whatsoever, nor will you read anything here that you don't already know. This post is the result of my own frustration when it comes to this subject. Being a male who does a fair bit of commenting on my fellow bloggers posts, I can't help but feel like every time I press that "post comment" button, I'm going to be lumped in with the aforementioned morons, even though I've never left a comment about how "hawt" I thought a writer was....ok, except for Binky, but really, who can blame me? I have enough problems with leaving comments in the hopes that I don't come off sounding completely stupid without having to worry that some cynical bastard like myself is reading the comment thinking "oh Jesus, this guy is just trying to get laid".

So, to my fellow men out there. Put a little thought into your comments before posting them. If you truly enjoy what someone has taken the time to write, it's perfectly ok to let them know that. I think it's part of why we all do this blogging thing. But don't offer to show your dick to the writer just because she's a female. There are lots of women out there who have plenty to say that is more than worth reading, and who have things to say that I personally want to read, so let's please not scare them or run them off the internet completely. They have just as much right to be here as we do. Getting off my soapbox now, thanks for you time. 


5 comments:

Zombie said...

there is no such thing as a girl playing games! lol.

Unknown said...

I have to be honest, when I saw the title to this blog, I thought...What could have crawled up his butt now. I never would have thought that you would have ranted about this subject matter; however, I'm definitely glad a man had the balls to stand up for the ladies. Just goes to show chivalry isn't dead entirely. I would never consider myself attractive, but apparently just possessing a vagina means I'm not supposed to like, do, read, or watch certain types of media. Thanks for disproving this and giving your fellow men some well needed advice.


BTW I promise not to be all smug and cynical about your next soapbox post. That wasn't very "ladylike". :D

Drake Sigar said...

I offer to show my dick to anyone regardless of gender.

Give it time. Tolerance has been steadily progressing as the number of female gamers have drastically risen (thanks The Sims), but we’re not there yet. The gaming industry is still a fresh faced youth.

Mister Bones said...

@Drake, I actually agree with you when it comes to gaming. I think gamers have definitely made strides in this regard, with the exception of the morons who populate public online matches on Xbox Live and PSN. This rant was sadly more directed toward the horror community, I just couldn't find any pictures to use that weren't video game related.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Me hawt? Compared to you my Batman-lovin' friend, I am but a sheet of ice. We know which one of us is the real piece of man candy. ;)

Excellent post, as always.