Saturday, March 31, 2012

McFarlane's Cam Newton Figures

I can't even tell you the last time I bought a figure for myself, toys have been put on the backburner as the ones I'm into aren't exactly cheap, and out of all my vices they're the first that I'm willing to give up. Sure, I still order the occasional bust or statue, but as far as figures go, nothing in a good while. Enter this blog post from Jim Smash!!! yesterday. 


I dig Jim's blog quite a bit, from his comic rants to his insane mission to own as many copies of the Aliens novelization as humanly possible. I don't remember exactly how it came up, but I would eventually learn that Jim also shared my love for Auburn University. Yesterday he posted about McFarlane toys releasing Cam Newton figures soon, three of them to be exact (two Auburn and one Carolina Panthers), and despite the fact that I probably shouldn't have, I went ahead and pre-ordered mine. The McFarlane Sports Picks aren't readily available at many retailers down here, and the one or two places I've been able to find them aren't exactly local, more like an hour or so away. Add that to the fact that these are going to disappear from shelves quickly, and I didn't like my chances at finding one in store.


I only ordered one though, the Auburn blue home jersey version. It seems that the away white jersey is going to be a chase, and is already fetching an asking price of at least $75 from what I could find, and it doesn't even ship for another four months. Not particularly interested in the Carolina Panthers figure, although if I run up on it at Toys R Us or somewhere, I would likely grab it. But I'm not a Panthers fan, so I won't pre-order it or anything. 


Big thanks to Jim for drawing my attention to these figures though. Even at pre-order price, with shipping it was a bit more than I normally like to spend on a figure, but it will be worth it in the end I think. Can't wait to display him on my shelf. War Eagle!

No comments: