Friday, June 26, 2009

Quite Literally my Greatest Fear Come to Life

Anyone of you who have spent any extended period of time around me will undoubtedly have heard me rant about two things that I consider to be almost crippling fears, 1. air travel and 2. the ocean.

I'm not entirely sure where my fear of flying comes from, I've never had a bad experience on a plane, I've never even been on one. It's not that I'm afraid of heights either, it's the whole "plummeting 30,000 feet to my death" thing that gets me. My flight phobia is so strong that It even affects me when friends and/or family are flying. I get extremely nervous until I know they'r safely on the ground.

The ocean however is easier, it's sharks. I'm never going into the ocean because I will be eaten by a shark. I also know exactly where this particular fear stems from, my father allowing me to watch Jaws at a very young age. I'm living proof that when a child should never be allowed to watch that movie, as he or she will be scarred for life. I won't even go into the ocean on a boat. Quint was on a boat, and his death scene is hands down one of the most terrifying things I have ever seen on film. I do have a Stockholm Syndrome thing going on with sharks though, as though I definitely fear being eaten by one, at the same time I'm mesmerized by them, particularly great white sharks. One of the highlights of the summer season for me is Shark Week on Discovery, I'm glued to my tv. There's just something about an animal that large, considered to be the ultimate predator, that intrigues me. I still don't want one eating me though.

These two fears put together basically gaurantee that I will never be able to travel to London, Japan, or anywhere else overseas that I would like to visit as I'm fairly certain that nobody will ever build roads to any of those places, or perfect teleportation in my lifetime. If I were ever tricked, or got hammered enough, to board a plane that would travel over water, both Murphy's Law and my own particular shitty luck pretty much dictate that this is exactly what would happen....



Credit goes to Johnny Boots over at Freddy in Space for bringing this particular nightmare to startling reality for me.

1 comment:

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

That has to be the greatest thing I've ever seen.