Saturday, June 5, 2010

Movie Night

Kids are out of town this weekend, so I'm REALLY flying solo today, don't much feel up to going anywhere or doing anything, so looks like movie night it is. As mentioned in yesterday's post, I saw Splice last night, and loved it. As such I'm thinking it's time to revisit a couple of the reasons why Guillermo del Toro is such a genius.

Pan's Labryinth - You know when somebody refers to a particular movie as "magical"? That's what this movie is for me. There's so much about it I love from the storybook-like script, to the wonderful creatures and effects, to the overall feel of creepiness lurking just underneath everything that's happening. Guillermo is a master story teller, and it really shows here. Particularly love the scene with the Pale Man, and anytime Fawn is on screen.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - My love affair with Big Red is no secret, I proudly profess it as often as possible. I loved the first Hellboy movie, and I loved this one. I go back and forth constantly about which I think is the better of the two. On the one hand, Hellboy had evil nazis, the frogs, and en enormous creature with tentacles, so it looks like a no-brainer, but pump the brakes for a second, The Golden Army has even MORE creatures, a better storyline, AND Johann Kraus. I give up.

Of course there's always Blade II, The Devil's Backbone, and The Orphanage if I get through with these two and still want more. I think I might even have a copy of Mimic around here somewhere, and I haven't seen that movie in years, should probably give it another watch too. In case you didn't pick up on the extremely obvious, the theme for tonight is Guillermo del Toro, and possibly "movies with creatures who don't have eyes where there should be eyes, and have eyes where there shouldn't be eyes", but that's a little long.

No comments: