Saturday, July 23, 2011

Arkham City collector's edition goodies


You can bet your ass I'll be picking up the collector's edition for Arkham City, the follow-up to Rocksteady's greatest superhero game of all time, Batman Arkham Asylum. The first game itself had some pretty cool swag, loved the true to scale batarang, but Arkham City's goodies put it to shame.

First up, and probably the nicest bonus, is a Kotobukiya statue. You might remember one of the nicest statues I currently display in my Batcave is their first vinyl Batman statue. It's beauty indeed knows no bounds. The Arkham City statue is done in black and white, and is going to look nice sitting on the shelf next to all of my other Batman Black and White series statues.


The second most important bonus is the addition of a Dark Knight Returns costume character skin. I'm not gonna lie, Rocksteady's Batman looks good, my only complaint is how tall the ears on the cowl are. I've always liked them a little shorter. The Dark Knight Returns costume is classic and iconic, and I will be playing the entire game with it equipped.


The rest of the package includes early access to a challenge map set in Penguin's Iceberg Lounge, a copy of the excellent Gotham Knight animated movie, four collectible cards, an art book, and what is possibly a soundtrack album. I wasn't a huge fan of the challenge maps the last time around, but free is free, and it might be cool to bust heads in the Iceberg. Being a collector of all things Batty, collectible cards and an art book are always welcome. I already own Gotham Knight, but it might be nice for the kids to have their own copy, so that works out well too. The "album featuring all new music from hit artists" is the one thing that I'm not particularly excited about. I'm not really a fan of what are considered to be "hit artists" in most cases, but who knows, maybe there will be some decent tunes on it.

All in all, not a bad lot of goodies for the extra $40. Truth be told, I would've paid that just for the statue alone. Arkham City looks like it's going to be every bit as good as Arkham Asylum was, and might even end up being better. October 18th can't get here fast enough.

1 comment:

Drake Sigar said...

Still waiting for my Bat-credit card.