Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dreaming Again


Everybody remember Sega's little system that could? Well I count myself among it's fans, and to this day I love my Dreamcast dearly. I was extremely sad to see the system die at such a young age.

I suppose the two faults that would ultimately lead to the demise were that it was way ahead of it's time in terms of online console gaming, and the fact that it was just so easy to bootleg the games for it. I can remember spending hours in my apartment playing NHL 2K, House of the Dead, 18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker, Shenmue, and of course who could forget the game that brought us the one and only "Supa Brotha" song, Jet Grind Radio. The fact that I would eventually move on to the Xbox is even directly related to my love for the Dreamcast, as I originally only bought an Xbox to play Jet Set Radio Future.

Recently I've been revisiting some of the old classics for some reason. I still have Metal Gear Solid 4 to finish (almost done), and I have Killzone 2 waiting to be started, as well as Resident Evil 5 coming out Friday, but all that has been taking a back seat to 18 Wheeler, Daytona USA 2001, Power Stone, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Hell, I'm even thinking about restarting Skies of Arcadia, a game which I played so much that I would actually fall asleep with it running only to wake up on the couch and immediately begin playing again.

I've also been trying to convince others to pick up their own Dreamcasts, being that they can be found used online from around $45 and that's the deal of the century. Especially when you consider that every single game can be found to download easily online. Not to mention all the homebrew, and emulators.

For some, the love for all things SEGA came from the Genesis, but I was always a SNES guy. My love for SEGA came from the Dreamcast, and I've always hoped that they would some day throw their hats back in the console ring. I'd put my pre-order money down the day the Dreamcast 2 was announced.

1 comment:

threels said...

console, controller, and vmu shipping on 3/17. :)