Thursday, June 4, 2009

Comic of the Week 6/3

This week hardly seems worthy of the triumphant return of "Comic of the Week" as I'm only getting two books pulled for me. Yup, TWO. I've never had a week where I only got two comics, and I've been doing this for almost 20 years now. If not for the recent re-addition of Amazing Spider-man to my pull list, I'd only be getting one book, and I just don't think I could live with myself if that were to ever happen. At least one of the two books this week is worth getting excited about though, Batman and Robin #1.

Comic of the Week

Battle for the Cowl is over, and we have ourselves an all-new Batman and Robin. SPOILERS from this point forward, so if you haven't read BftC yet, or don't want to know who the new Batman and Robin are, stop reading punk! Ok, so big surprise, Dick Grayson dons the cowl and is promised to be a "lighter" Batman, which makes sense I suppose. I wanted Dick to be the new Batman from the beginning, so I'm happy with how things turned out. I'm not so happy about Damian being Robin though, however I am intrigued by the dynamic that the two's personalities will bring about. It's almost like a role reversal for Batman and Robin, with Batman being the lighter toned of the two, and Robin being the agressive, dark and brooding type. It's also been pointed out at countless other internet outlets, but we've sort of come full circle with a Wayne and Grayson dynamic duo, only in reverse order. Grant Morrison is still writing Batman here, which makes me a bit uneasy after the tragic letdown of his work on the Bat books so far, but at least it will look pretty with Frank Quitely doing the pencilling. Solicitation says:

Batman Reborn begins here! The new Dynamic Duo hit the streets with a bang in their new flying Batmobile as they face off against an assemblage of villains called the Circus of Strange. They also tackle their first mission investigating a child who’s been abducted by the mysterious Domino Killer. But will everything go smoothly? And who exactly are the new Batman and Robin? The newest era of The Dark Knight begins here!

No real need for an honorable mention this week, but what the hell. As the only other comic I'm getting, Amazing Spider-man #596 gets the nod.

The Pull List


  • Amazing Spider-man #596

  • Batman and Robin #1

No comments: