Friday, January 14, 2011

The Guardian Project

In some sort of strange attempt at crossing over comics and hockey, the NHL has teamed with Stan Lee to create 30 new superheroes, or "Guardians" for the NHL All-Star Game this year. Based on fan voting, we will see a new Guardian unveiled every day this month until all 30 have been revealed. They will then do battle or something at the All-Star Game in February.

I'm going to post a few of my favorites from those that have been shown, but to be honest I'm not entirely blown away by any of the character designs so far, nor am I all that jazzed about the concept itself. And by the way, why the hell is the Devils Guardian a fucking horse?! Remember when Upper Deck had comic artists turn athletes into superheroes for that "Fanimation" trading card set? Yeah it wasn't really cool then, and it's not really cool now, although I do like the idea of the mascots being characters instead of actual players.

But if you're interested, you can go here to cast your vote for which Guardian will be next, despite the overall "meh" feeling I get from what I've seen so far, I gotta admit I want to see the rest of them. Particularly interested in my Atlanta Thrashers of course. In any event, no matter how lame The Guardian Project may end up being, at the very least I'm 100% sure it won't be any worse than Stan Lee's Sci-Fi reality series, "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" which I still have crippling nightmares about.
































































3 comments:

Unknown said...

Uh oh, I feel an overwhelming sense of disappointment. None of them stand out for me. "The Wild" is the best one, and that hurts a bit. My sadness at "The Flyer" cannot be expressed into words. I'm not amused at all...I think Mr. Lee just looks for new avenues to make a dollar, and he's scraping the bottom of the barrel this time.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

I think the better question is "what is a celestial incinerator?" He can burn down the heavens!

Mister Bones said...

You should see some of the others, unfortunately these are the best ones so far. "The Oiler" makes me snicker though.