Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cabin in the Woods


It seems as though a rare phenomenon has been occurring in regard to this particular movie, almost everyone in the horror blogosphere likes it, and has decided to not ruin it for everybody who hasn't seen it by going into too much detail. I applaud you once again, online horror community, you never cease to amaze me. Trust that I'll also not be ruining anything here in this post, but I there's simply no way I can enjoy a movie as much as I did this one and not say anything about it.


I have to admit, it started off a little slow for me. I knew great things were going to happen based off of all the reactions I had read prior to finally getting to see it, but I have to admit at an hour into the proceedings without much that really impressed me, I began to worry a little. I was enjoying the movie, but things seemed to be moving a little fast, and there was almost no character development. Basically, bad things were happening to people that I didn't give the slightest fuck about. Sure this kind of thing is typical in your average to below average horror flick, but those usually have some sort of monster or killer that I'm basically rooting for anyway, so when the teenagers die, I'm happy. I wanted, and expected, more from Cabin in the Woods though. Luckily, just when I thought all hope was lost, the last 20 minutes happened.

Oh my God, the last 20 minutes. I went from worrying that I was going to come away disappointed, to wondering why I can't have this much fun watching every movie I sit down to watch. There is so much awesome packed into the last act of this movie, and when the credits started rolling, I immediately wanted to watch it again. I can't tell you the last time that happened. Believe me, everything you've probably heard about Cabin in the Woods is true. I'm always disappointed when a major horror release doesn't do well theatrically, I'm even more so this time around because not only is this a good horror/comedy flick, it's a good flick, period. It deserves way more support than it's getting.


2 comments:

Ty said...

Great review.

Cabin In The Woods was a blast and the last 20 minutes were insanely fun!

Mister Bones said...

Appreciate it! Didn't really want to do a "review" because I didn't want to ruin anything, but I HAD to say something, heh.