Monday, November 22, 2010

Clown



How freakin' cool is this faux trailer?! And more importantly, how freakin' cool is Eli Roth for this:

It's not unusual for fan-made trailers for films using either intellectual property or names they have no legal right to to be contacted by lawyers of the actual rights holders. It is unusual, however, that the reason for the contact is because the rights holder actually liked what they saw and wants to turn it into a real movie. In the case of 'Clown,' it went a little something like this:

Step 1. Make a trailer for a non-existent horror movie about a man who turns into a murderous wereclown.
Step 2. Insert title cards faking the legitimacy of the movie, including one that claims 'Clown' was made by 'Hostel' director Eli Roth.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit!

The wildcard that is Step 3 is normally when things fall apart, but for 'Clown' creators Jon Watts and Christopher Ford, it actually ended up netting them a meeting with Eli Roth, Cross Creek Pictures president Brian Oliver and Vertebra Films head Steven Prince. Roth, Oliver and Prince not only liked what they saw, but they clearly liked what they heard and so they've agreed to fully finance and produce a feature length version of 'Clown' for Ford to write and Watts to direct. From the press release: 

"I was blown away when I saw that "Clown" trailer. Everyone thought it was real, or that I had at least made a fake trailer. I called the guys right away and their first response was "Thank you for not suing us!" I said "Sue you? Let's make this into a real film!" They are incredibly talented, smart guys ready to make their feature debut."
Loves me an evil clown movie, and my God, a murderous wereclown?! Why hasn't this been thought of before? More importantly, why didn't I think of this before? It's safe to assume that seeing this movie has now become my sole reason for existence.

4 comments:

Drake Sigar said...

My god, that's even better than a vampire pirate.

Anonymous said...

We are so watching this! :D

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

That was awesome.

Unknown said...

I can't wait!!!