Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Yeah! Guns N Shit!

Remember the Slaterocalypse I took part in over at Back Online, Back On Duty? Yeah, you do. Well, it's time for another theme week over there, and I'm lucky enough to have been asked to contribute again. This time, it's a celebration of 80's Action movies entitled "Yeah! Guns N Shit!". I actually contributed to two different posts this time, which you can view at the links provided below. Whether you care anything about reading my nonsense or not, I urge you to visit Back Online, Back On Duty during this week, as there the talent lined up to contribute to this theme week surpasses even the A-list group that was the Slaterocalypse. To say Yeah! Guns N Shit! is going to be special, would be an understatement of mammoth proportions.


First up, my collaboration with Frank Browning, in which we re-imagined regular everyday products as action films. This idea started out as something I was going to do for the Batcave, but when I heard about 80's Action Week, I thought it might be a better fit there. I was in Dick's Sporting Goods one day, and randomly spotted a brand of golf balls called "Raw Distance", I immediately sent a text to my homie Mike, asking him if it didn't sound more like the title of a Steve Segal flick than golf balls. He agreed, and we proceeded to spend most of the rest of the day sending texts such as "Ralph Macchio is..the Bacardi Breezer" and "Gregory Hines in... D-Con". I knew only one person could create the faux posters for this idea, graphic designer extraordinaire, Mr. Frank Browning. He absolutely killed it, once again. You can view the posters, and read the plot synopsis for each film here.

When you're done with that, if it strikes your fancy, you can read what can only be described as the single longest thing that's ever been written about Rocky IV, other than the script itself maybe. I knew I loved the movie, but had no idea I could ramble on about it like I did. If you dig the flick, you may enjoy skimming through all of this.

No comments: